By 1907, a Lucas Pfeiffenberger and Son, Architects - designed building was erected as the paper plant of the Illinois Corrugated Paper Company. In the spring of 1920, the Illinois Terminal Railroad bought the building and began extensive renovations. An article in the April 12, 1920 Telegraph headlines, “Fireproofing Big Building is Expensive, Illinois Terminal Improvements On Former Factory Building Arouse Considerable Comment”. To keep their records safe, Illinois Terminal Railroad tore out the old wooden floors and installed concrete slab floors. The weight of the new floors required steel and reinforced concrete supports and much stronger walls. The “factory-style windows” were replaced and reconfigured. An old photograph of the building shows three windows in each bay where there are now two.
By October of 1920, the Illinois Terminal Railroad had moved into their new offices. From that date and for ten years, the city directory lists a residence, also at 7 Alby Street. The president of the ITR, H.H. Ferguson had a very trusted assistant, Miss Kate E. Wilson. Here’s what an October 23, 1920, Telegraph article said about her: “So valuable are the services of Miss Wilson it was deemed desirable to have her close at hand at any time and while the building was being rebuilt a handsome suite of rooms in which Miss Wilson could make her home was provided. This suite is fitted up in beautiful style.”
The lower level was used by a car dealership for a time. The Mississippi Lime Company had their offices here last. When The Mississippi Lime Company moved out of Alton, there was much lamenting about another empty downtown building. But is did not take long for the building to be sold to Moon Beam Initiatives and renovated into luxury loft condos with a spectacular view of the Mississippi River and the Clark Bridge.